Inverleith Young Leader Programme
Gain confidence to deliver content to small groups
Develop strong communication skills
Test your ability to work with others effectively
Learn how to lead others
This programme will be open to all players aged 13 – 18, but we can only offer places to around thirty volunteers each season. You will be assigned to an age group for the whole season, which will help you get to know one group of young players, team managers and other coaches.
The programme will aim to develop participants’ interpersonal skills through leadership roles, this includes coaching, umpiring and managing teams.
The programme will involve:
– Weekly coaching with our U8s, U10s, or U12s on a Sunday – 10:00 – 11:30 at Edinburgh Academy. Participants will support the lead coaches delivery of the session. At points in the season they will be asked to design and lead session elements.
– Mentorship from experienced coaches throughout the season
– Exposure to umpiring
– Programme can be used for a DofE volunteer commitment
– Progression through our hockey leader development pathway to become a qualified coach and umpire
Progression of Young Leaders:
1st season of volunteering (S3 or above)
- Help at U8, U10 or U12 sessions with setting out, tidying equipment,
- encouraging young players, helping improve their technique,
- making sessions fun.
In the 2nd season of volunteering (S4 and above)
- You will now progress to lead a portion of the weekly U8, U10 or U12 training session with a small group of up to 12 players.
- You will learn to umpire at U8, U10 festivals.
- Young Hockey Leader Course (S4-S6)
- Online self directed hockey rules resource to introduce umpiring
- Introduction to Hockey Coaching workshop (for those who have completed the Young Hockey Leader course – min age 16)
In the 3rd seasons of volunteering (S5 and above)
- You will progress to designing and delivering simple practices for groups of up to 12 players
- managing game day teams for U12 & U14
- Introduction to Hockey Coaching workshop (min age 16)
- Level 1 hockey umpire course and assessment (min age 14)
Experienced volunteers or those on accelerated hockey leader pathway (S6 or above)
- after several years of volunteering, you will progress to coaching a group of up to 30 young players,
- managing assistant coaches, working with others to plan the team’s season.
- Sessional Hockey Coach course (SH course)
- Engaging Games for Children workshop and other workshops (SH course)
- GB Hockey Club Coach (SH course)
On gaining Club Coach or Level 1 Umpire qualifications, opportunities open up to be paid for coaching and umpiring.
There is no cost to this programme.
Participants must commit to engaging with their development as a hockey leader.
We will have around 30 places available each season. Application form opens at the start of every season. You can ask your coach or Tom Barton, Head of Youth for more information. Fill in the form below if you are interested in our Young Leaders Programme.